Thursday, January 17, 2013

Baring the Ugly Truth: My Fabric Stash

If Lance can come clean with his dirty secret, so can I.  Above is a picture of the beast that resides in the corner of my apartment.  My fabric stash.  They say admitting is the first step, so here goes:  I'm a fabric addict.

What you see in the picture above is just a portion of my stash.  I've managed to stuff fabric in every little nook & cranny in my tiny Seattle apartment.  It didn't help that I worked at a fabric boutique and now I work at a fabric wholesale company.  I guess fabric follows me home like a lost puppy dog?

As the new year began, I decided to make a few goals for 2013.  Exercise more, stop over-eating, save money, and pare down my possessions.  The theme for this year is healthy, wealthy, and lessening the load.  My mother has been an inspiration to me in resetting my pack-rat ways.  Last summer she took a trip to Tanzania and she observed from the people she met on her travels how easily it is not to live with many belongings.  I constantly think about this now before I make unnecessary purchases and when I'm starting to clean out my closets at home.

Since the new year, I immediately went into clean-out mode.  First, I tackled my book and vinyl record collection (How'd I end up with 3 copies of Elvis Costello's 'My Aim is True' ?).  Next up are my closets, and then after that is the beast in my corner.....my fabric stash.  And as if I needed more motivation to make this happen, here's my horoscope from yesterday:

Sorry to break the news to you today, Stephanie, but the truth of the matter is that the time for fun & games is over for now.  It is time for you to buckle down and get to work.  Rescue any project that you have let fall by the wayside.  You will feel so much better about yourself after having taken that first step toward accomplishing the thing you need to accomplish.  Subsequent steps will be infinitely easier than the first.

Synchronicity, I tell ya!

Well, now I've made it public.  I'm accountable.  My stash needs a trim and though I may be an Italian lady, it's not an epilady that's gonna trim it.  Time to break out my sewing machine!  Put a moratorium on new fabric purchases!  And say no to extra helpings of fabric from work!  I'll be keeping you posted as I clean out the fabric pantry.  There's no telling what kind of crazy concoctions I'll cook up from that stash.

Now to dump the stash and stitch away this beast of burden.....


Au revoir, fabric!






No comments:

Post a Comment