Monday, August 15, 2011

Well, Ain't That a Stitch!

Greetings, my craftas!
Oh boy has it been a long time since I've put my needle to the fabric.  The summer (ha ha, what summer?!) here in Seattle did little in fueling my creative energy.  Ain't no sunshine up in this neck of the woods.  It feels like Summer was late to the cocktail party and only stayed for a few hors d'oeuvres & a gin 'n tonic!!

Ah well, parties aside...something spurred me on (my best friend Mere-Bear's birthday) to finally get my stitch-on and look at the lovely thing I created below:

What prompted the beginning of this project was a tear in an unmentionable spot on my friend's jeans.  She was visiting me this past May on a layover from Hawaii back to her new home of The Netherlands. In stellar Mere/Steph fashion- we conquered most of Seattle in the 2 days she had to spend during her layover.  I guess her Adriano Goldschmied's couldn't keep up with her, and finally decided to bail.  So, as Mere parted from Seattle, she left her tried 'n true blues with me with the instructions of "Do Something 'Anthropology-ish' with them!"  As we talked more about this idea, we both agreed that perhaps I could lend my lovely applique talents to a tee-shirt, upcycling her jeans in the process.

So, a-cutting-I-went:

And then a-stitching-I-went:

And then a-more-stitching-I-went:

Gotta say, this was a really fun project for me.  I loved cutting into some jeans and making them useful again.  The evenings that I spent stitching all the appliques to the tee-shirt were very meditative.  I think I got my sewing groove back with this one!

And with that, I wish my friend Mere, a 'Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!'











2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write a simple reply. Thank you for coming across my blog post with a lovely comment.

      Delete